Jean Hétu, Ad. E.
|Bar Admission||Called to the Barreau du Québec in 1971|
|Phone||+1 (514) 343-6099|
|Fax||+1 (514) 331-0514|
|Assistant||Diane Ruel: 514 331-5010 ext. 5743|
Me Hétu is legal advisor to numerous municipalities as well as to the government of Québec. He is also the author of numerous articles and works on municipal and administrative law.
- Member of the Comité de sélection du fonds d'aide juridique of the Union des municipalités du Québec (UMQ).
PRIZES AND DISTINCTIONS
- Named Lawyer Emeritus by the Barreau du Québec in 2009.
- Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
- Faculty of Law Medal from the Université de Montréal in2003.
- Co-author of the Malouf report on the costs of the Montreal Olympic Games.
- Founder of the Actualité juridique municipale published by Wolters Kluwer.
- Me Hétu oversaw the reform of the municipal courts of Québec in 1987.
- He was a member of the committee that created the Court of Québec in 1988.
PRESENTATIONS AND conferences
- Full professor at the Faculty of Law of the Université de Montréal (municipal law and general administrative law).
- Sought after and regular speaker before numerous stakeholders in the municipal realm.
- President of the permanent committee on municipal affairs of the Barreau du Québec from 1996 to 2011
- President of the Société d'histoire et du patrimoine de Lavaltrie since its founding in 2013.
ARTICLES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Me Hétu is the principal author of the sole reference work in municipal law (Droit municipal, Principes généraux et contentieux).
- Legal protection of the environment in Québec.
- The sale of buildings for non-payment of property taxes.
- An Act Respecting Land use Planning and Development.
- The powers of municipalities in protecting the environment.
- An Act Respecting the Remuneration of Elected Municipal Officers, commented and indexed.
- Access to information and the protection of personal information.